While sitting with my sisters in Islam, we had a brief talk about what we do when we feel our iman is low.. An increase in the decrease in the level of Iman in one’s heart is pretty normal – it happens to everyone. Some days we feel very zealous about worship and other days, it’s difficult to even concentrate during Salah.
No matter how low you feel your iman is never lose hope, always strive for the best and inshaAllAh you will succeed. Ensure you are working on increasing the level of Iman in your heart and your interest in the religion will inevitably grow as a result. You can try the following to help increase the level of faith in your heart.
1) Do dhikr. Select a time during the day when you will recite a certain supplication (such as Istighfar, sending Salawat upon the Prophet SAW, Subhan’Allah, Alhamdulillah, La illaha illa anta..) and do this every day. It will help keep your Iman stable.
2) Listen to reminders. Do it even if you don’t feel like it because once you listen to a reminder with a sincere intention, it will improve your Iman and make you more conscious of Allah SWT.
3) Listen to Tafsir (explanation) of the Quran. Again, if your intention is sincere, it will undoubtedly increase your Iman and you will discover the treasures that the Quran holds. Once you understand what you’re reading or listening to you will more likely implement it to your daily life as well as being more continue about what each Surah is talking about.
4) Try to establish Salah with khushoo and do all the Sunnah and Nawafil Salah as well along with the obligatory rakahs. Make an intention and don’t rush your salah, make salah your first priority as It will help you draw closer to Allah SWT.
5) Ask Allah SWT to help you increase your Iman by making dua. Even if you are not saying it, Allah knows what is within your heart and he may answer it for you- never ever stop making dua.
6) Establish Tahajjud salah. You will see that when you wake yourself up for the sake of Allah SWT alone in the middle of the night (or maybe 20-25 minutes before Fajr adhan), it will just be you and Allah SWT. There won’t be anyone around to disturb you – sometimes not even your own thoughts. It can be very comforting and once you establish tahajjud salah, you will have a sense of purpose throughout the rest of the day because you will have that mindset throughout the rest of the day of doing things to try to increase your Iman.
7) Keep a voluntary fast for the sake of Allah SWT. Fasting increases the believers in Iman. When you are fasting you try your best to stay away from anything that is bad and only surround yourself with good – this contributes to increasing your Iman as you will be conscious of everything that you’re doing.
8) Make a list of a ‘good day’ in which you do everything for the sake of Allah SWT and measure this against your actual day to see where you are lacking and what are the things stopping you from getting closer to Allah SWT. Conversely, you can also make a list of all the things you do as a Muslim that you shouldn’t be doing. By doing one of these two things, you are planting a seed in your heart – if you water this seed continuously by doing good and stay away from evil/sin, there is no way that the level of Iman in your heart won’t increase.
9) Keep the company of good friends – stay away from bad company. Don’t put yourself in situations that can directly have an adverse effect on your Iman.-learn to say NO.
10) Help people. If someone asks you for a favour or for help, don’t ever return them empty handed – no matter how small the thing they are asking you for is – grant their request and be conscious of doing it for the sake of Allah SWT.
In order for us to see results, we should all try to do the above on a regular basis InshaAllah. First, before we do anything, we should take a good look at our lifestyles and try to stop doing things that are a direct cause of a reduce to our Iman. Once you do the above, you will automatically want to change and become a better Muslims not letting anything or anyone come between you and your Lord. May Allah make us amongst those who can fight our Nafs between the evils of this Dunya and may we find it easy for us to say no to situations in which we know our faith will be tested. Ameen.